Thursday, June 17, 2010

Nice to meet you

Sometimes when I am going about my business and pleasure around town I believe I am spotting Internet dates in progress. Internet dating is for me something of a hobby and I want to cast the couple a knowing glance. If it appears to be going poorly I empathize, and if it appears to be going well, I silently applaud them for finding each other and hope their success stems from a mutual disinterest in being interesting.

Internet dates follow one of several body language formulas. I have had a lot of firsthand practice at this sport and can recognize the gamut of these scenarios from across a medium-sized room. While I can't share all the secrets right here, I will say that for practitioners and bystanders alike, spotting this type of social interaction has a long and storied history that began with the traditional blind date. From the comfort of one's couch, it is possible to hone blind date-spotting skills with a proper regimen of related television programming. I trained of course on the stupendous and one and only "Blind Date", hosted by the inimitable Roger Lodge and produced by NBC. Please note that in real life, blind daters will not have bubbles surrounding their heads filled with snarky commentary about the proceedings. This is merely a Hollywood trick.

And for all my readers in 2nd grade and below, I want to dispel an important myth. A blind date does not mean that the people on the date are blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment