Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Opp. NYC Date 1

The other day I was feeling exceptional fondness for the idea of perhaps getting hitched and knocked up one day. Brooklyn will do it to you with all the attractive well-preserved 30-something couples that are accompanied by stylish and charming little miniatures of themselves playing bocce ball in McCarren Park, etc. Looks quite blissful in these beautiful spring afternoons. I must remind myself there is a one-in-two chance of a tearful aftermath five years down the line that is more involved than the whose-books-are-whose conversation I already have experience with.

Tonight I have my first New York City Internet date with a guy that has expressed commitment toward showing me some kind of cool time here that involves making new friends. My priority at this juncture is obviously kids my own age, not actual kids. Tonight's date struck me on the phone as a Jewish fratty-hippie type, for those of whom that description means something. I am not sure if this is exactly the alley I want to travel, but I need to get my feet wet in the online dating scene here.

So I'm going on a date tonight. So what? Don’t envy me, as I told a friend of mine who is romantically attached, and doing her laundry alone tonight, “You could be single and going on dates with strangers from the Internet too.”

1 comment:

  1. i've heard the 1-in-2 stat is inaccurate, but who cares, because "I must remind myself there is a one-in-two chance of a tearful aftermath five years down the line that is more involved than the whose-books-are-whose conversation I already have experience with" is the best sentence i've read in at least a week.

    ReplyDelete